Nikon D5100: Shooting in Black and White
You have a couple options for producing photos in black and white with the Nikon D5100. You can shoot in color and convert the photo to black and white or you can shoot in black and white without any additional steps.
Shoot in Black and White
This method will automatically take pictures in black and white. You won’t be able to change it back to color.
- Rotate the command dial to P, S, A or M. If you’re a beginner, stick with P (program mode)
- Press the (i) button
- Highlight the Picture Control tab, then press the OK button
- Highlight MC (Monochrome) and press the OK button
Convert a Color Photo to Black and White
This method is more involved, but it ensures you have a colored version and a B&W version.
- Press the MENU button, then select the Retouch Menu tab (paint brush icon)
- Highlight Monochrome, then press the right arrow button on the multi selector
- Highlight a picture, then press the OK button
- Highlight Black and white, then press the right arrow button on the multi selector to see a
- preview of the selected image
- Press the OK button to create a black and white copy of the original image