Tutorials & Advice for the Nikon D5100
In-depth How To’s and Tutorials
- Getting Started Guide – This guide will take you through the first steps of opening up and using your camera for the first time.
- Portrait Lenses, Tips & Tricks – This guide will give you some insight towards capturing beautiful portraits and candids with your Nikon D5100 using scene modes, in-camera settings and other tricks you won’t find in the manual. I’ll also shed some light on recommended lenses and gear to help you take eye-popping portraits.
- Landscape Settings, Tips & Tricks – Get a firsthand look at my process for shooting landscapes with the Nikon D5100. I’ll show you the settings I used, along with some secret and hidden features that can help you in certain landscape type situations.
- Shooting in Black and White – Learn how to capture and convert photos to black and white using the D5100.
Settings and Techniques
- Moose’s Nikon D5100 Cheat Cards – These nifty little cheat sheets tell you exactly which Settings and Modes to use with your Nikon D5100 for a variety of Subjects and Scenes!
- Best way to take panoramic landscape photo – Best setup and settings for capturing a panoramic shot.
- Portrait photography with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses – Info on the ideal focal length for portraits and recommended settings while using the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses to capture portraits.
- How to take night shots of trees – Settings for photographing a tree against a night sky.
- How to brighten shots while shooting indoors – Methods for capturing brighter shots when shooting in low-light situations.
- How to get a blurred background while keeping the subject in focus – Tips for isolating subjects against blurry backgrounds.
- Capture moving subjects from a distance (indoors) – Recommended settings when photographing subjects from a distance indoors using the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses.
Lenses and Gear
- Best Lenses & Accessories – I list out all of my favorite pieces of gear for the Nikno D5100.
- Recommended Memory Cards – Check out which memory cards are compatible, how many photos/videos you can store and what features to look for.
- Day time long exposures using ND filters – Info on recommended neutral density filters and remotes for long exposures.
- Camera bag recommendations for women – Recommended lightweight cases and bags for women.
In-camera Tweaks and Adjustments
- Pump up the color – Learn how to enable Vivid picture control to get brighter colors.
- Include yourself in the photo using the Self-Timer – In situations where you’re using a tripod to shoot self portraits, group shots (including yourself) or even scenes in low light, you can use the self-timer to automatically trigger the shutter. Other than the convenience factor, the self-timer can also help eliminate camera shake in low light situations. Yes, even the simple act of pressing the shutter button (on a tripod) can lead to image blur in low light.
- Add Time & Date (Time stamp) to your photos – Learn how to enable the Time-stamp feature inside the Nikon D5100.
- Can’t get the ML-L3 wireless remote to work – Find out which settings you need to enable in order to get the ML-L3 wireless remote to work properly with the D5100.